Just as you want your garage door system to operate properly every time you need it, you also want it to operate safely at all times. After all, the garage door is the largest and heaviest moving object in most homes. It can cause injury or even death if damaged or misused.
Here are some safety tips that everyone in your household should know about garage door safety.
- The garage door and garage door opener are not toys. They are dangerous if misused and can cause serious injury or even death.
- Children should never be allowed to play with the garage door or its operating system. Children should never stand, run or play under or near any garage door, especially when the door is open or moving.
- Never stand or walk under a moving garage door. Never try to enter or exit the garage by racing under a moving garage door.
- When opening or closing the garage door, always keep the door in view until the door is fully opened or fully closed. Make certain that no adults, children or animals try to enter or exit while the door is closing.
- Keep fingers and hands away from door sections when the door is opening or closing to avoid injury.
- Keep your garage door properly maintained to keep it operating safely. Annual maintenance by a trained service technician is recommended.
- Remember that your garage door opener uses electricity, which can shock or kill if mishandled. Service should be performed by a trained service technician.
- Never attempt to repair a garage door’s springs or cables. These are under extreme tension and can cause severe injury or even death. These are best repaired by a trained service technician.
- If someone has backed into the garage door (yes, it does happen – all of us are in a hurry at one time or another), have the door inspected and/or repaired by a trained service technician. Even if the door doesn’t appear to be severely damaged, the operating system may have become misaligned and wear prematurely, creating what could be a dangerous environment.
If you believe your garage door system is not working properly, do not attempt to fix yourself. Valley Lock & Door also services garage doors and their openers. Let our qualified employees do the service for you safely.