Did you know that your garage door is the largest and heaviest moving object in your home? If damaged or misused, it can cause injury or even death. Here are some garage door safety tips that everyone in your household should know:
1. The garage door and garage door opener are not toys. Children should never be allowed to play with the garage door or its operating system. They should never stand, run or play under or around any garage door and should be properly taught how to operate the door safely. Garage door safety should be discussed with your children.
2. Never stand or walk under a moving garage door and never try to enter or exit the garage by racing under a moving door.
3. When opening or closing the garage door, always keep the door in view until the door is fully opened or closed. Make certain that no adults, children or animals try to enter or exit while the door is operating.
4. Keep fingers and hands away from door sections when the door is in motion to avoid injury.
5. Keep your garage door properly maintained to keep it operating safely. Annual maintenance by a trained service technician is recommended.
6. Never attempt to repair a garage door’s springs or cables. These parts are under extreme tension and will cause severe injury or death if handled incorrectly. Always hire a trained service technician for this type of repair.
7. If your garage door has been hit with a car—it happens ALOT— It is a good idea to have your door inspected and/or repaired (may be even replaced) by a trained service technician. Even if the door does not appear to be badly damaged, the operating system may have become misaligned and wear prematurely.
Call us to schedule your annual maintenance of you garage door. It will save you time and money in the long run by keeping it running smoothly, If your garage door is very old and has never been serviced, it may be time to think about having a new door installed.